Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tournament: Dragon's Lair 8/23/08


I made a mixed guard-sisters army for Saturday’s Dragon’s Lair 2000 point tournament, consisting of:

Command HQ squad - veteran with standard, lascannon team
Junior officer - iron discipline, bolter

4 Hardened veterans - plasma gun, 2 meltaguns
Veteran sergeant - plasma pistol

4 Hardened veterans - plasma gun, 2 meltaguns
Veteran sergeant - plasma pistol

Infantry platoon
Command squad - 2 meltaguns, lascannon team
Junior officer - iron discipline, bolter
Infantry squad – plasma gun, lascannon team
Infantry squad – plasma gun, lascannon team
Infantry squad – plasma gun, lascannon team
Infantry squad – plasma gun, lascannon team

10 Sisters of battle – meltagun, flamer
Veteran sister superior – book of st. lucius
Rhino – smoke launchers, extra armor

10 Sisters of battle – meltagun, flamer
Veteran sister superior – book of st. lucius
Rhino – smoke launchers, extra armor

Hellhound – extra armor, pintle heavy stubber

Hellhound – extra armor, pintle heavy stubber

Leman Russ Demolisher – extra armor, hull lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher – extra armor, hull lascannon

Leman Russ – extra armor, hull heavy bolter, sponson heavy bolters, pintle heavy stubber

I won the first match but lost the second and third. Somehow I ended up with the third place best painted prize, but I traded the winnings to Nick for a couple of broadsides he apparently doesn’t use. My plan is to make a tau army combining a ton of battlesuits with a ton of kroot. I’m sure there’ll be a hammerhead or two in there, too. It’s all quite a long ways off though.

Here are a few more pictures from nearby games:

Chaos vs. Demons


Eldar vs. Guard


Eldar vs. Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion


Game 1 - Blood Angels - Seize Ground - Pitched Battle

David had a jump death company squad led by lemartes, 5 terminators with 2 assault cannons, a death company dreadnought, a veteran assault squad, a couple squads of 10 marines in rhinos, and two baal predators. The blood angels had a lot of ground to cover in order to bring their strenghts to bear on my guard and ladies, and I dealt with the death company and terminators pretty quickly. Then my ordnance really got going in the late turns and it went from bad to worse. I ended up controlling more objectives, imperial guard wins.

Game 2 - Space Marines - Capture and Control - Dawn of War

Chris was playing his pre-heresy alpha legion army, which included a commander with a tank hunter command squad, a demonhunter inquisitor with a psycannon and some kind of cheap retinue, a veteran assault squad, a vindicare assassin, two large tactical marine squads, and two predator destructors. He outflanked with his veterans and they arrived on my right side, quickly wiping out the infantry squads grouped there. They eventually segued into a couple of my tanks and destroyed them. I wiped out one of the big tac squads with tanks and deep-striking veterans, but couldn’t finish off the second squad. A rhino picked up the one survivor, and though I destroyed the tank, the lone marine still got out in time to contest my home objective. Alpha legion wins.

Game 3 - Imperial Guard - Annihilation - Table Quarters

My last game was against Kings' bug hunting guard. He set up half of his force way back in his corner with some armor and light troops up front (the sentinels and nearby men seen in the bottom left are actually waiting to outflank). It quickly became a tank battle supreme in the middle of the table with devastating ordnance flying in both directions. I tried to mass my sisters toward his demolisher and hellhound but their meltaguns failed to bring the big tank down. Fortunately my deep-striking elements landed bang on target and brought two or three tanks down in one turn (with explosions IIRC). Two of his sentinels outflanked behind my russ, destroying it immediately, so I sent the conscripts over to get a little battle experience fighting them in hand-to-hand, tying them up for the rest of the game so I could concentrate my fire on better targets. Eventually Kings racked up enough kill points to put him ahead when the end of the game was called. Imperial guard wins.

1 comment:

jawaballs said...

Ick, too many Blood Angels dieing around here... :)