Sunday, February 1, 2009

Latest Guard List

I decided to trade most of my tyranids away for a bunch of random guard stuff, including a forgeworld Valkyrie, 14 storm troopers, 5 ogyrns, 6 more ratlings, and 2 chimeras. The ratlings were the easiest things to get painted and on the field, so I made a new guard list to include them that I'll probably use at this weekend's hobby tournament:

Command HQ - JO w/ iron discipline and bolter, veteran standard bearer
Anti-tank squad - 3 missile launchers
Anti-tank squad - 3 missile launchers
Fire support squad - 3 autocannons, sharpshooters
Fire support squad - 3 heavy bolters, sharpshooters
Mortar squad
2 Sentinels - autocannons

Demonhunter Inquisitor Lord - psychic hood, psycannon
2 Mystics
3 Gun servitors - heavy bolters

4 Hardened veterans - 3 meltaguns, vet sgt w/ plasma pistol

10 Ratlings

Infantry platoon
Command squad - JO w/ iron discipline, 4 flamers
2 Infantry squads - plasma guns

Armored fist squad - plasma gun
Chimera - hull heavy bolter, pintle stubber, extra armor, smoke launchers

Hellhound - hull heavy bolter, pintle stubber, extra armor, smoke launchers

Leman Russ demolisher - plasma cannons, lascannon, extra armor

Leman Russ - 3 heavy bolters, pintle heavy stubber, extra armor

Basilisk - indirect fire

I mainly wanted to bring in a bunch of different units I didn't use much anymore. The idea is to castle up with the demonhunter, command HQ, weapons teams, and tanks while the troops stay off-table in reserve as long as possible before running on to grab objectives. I have to acknowledge Jwolf's tactics on Bell for inspiring this direction. There's probably a lot of excessive upgrades I could ditch but I tried to go with what I already had modeled. I played one game with it against chaos and did pretty well but I still need a lot more practice.

6 comments:

Jwolf said...

Since you have the spare FA slot, I'd divide the Sentinels into 2 squadrons, or drop one squadron and get another unit of melta veterans. Melta veterans are my new favorites.

Regardless, I think you'll have fun with the list, and even when you don't win you're playing Guard. I need to model an officer with a sombrero...

Admiral Drax said...

Nice!

I'm with Jwolf on the sentinel thing mate: gives you way more flexibility. Don't forget, you can bring them in on the flanks from reserve, pop a couple of shots into a vehicle's rear armour, then charge it: Str5's got a chance against the rear AV of most things these days...

Let us know how it turns out, especially the mortars: I've been experimenting with them recently, and I'm keen for more thoughts...

Anonymous said...

for 30pts you van make all 6missile launchers lascannons.

~kings

bullymike said...

Too bad they look completely different from mls, or else I'd be in business. Wyncha buy me some weapon teams

Admiral Drax said...

Yeah - the main difference being that the current Cadian missile launchers are great models, and the lascannon are pants.

Anonymous said...

well where did the 6 ml come from? boxes that had lascannons in them...?

~kings